Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Vanished posts, and reservations


Dana Torres (Robert Maxwell)

In my last entry, I said the next post was going to be about the female body. Well, I did write it, and I thought I posted it, but...huh. Doesn't seem to be there, now does it?

Let me explain...no, there is too much. Let me sum up. (Bonus point to whoever can tell me what movie that's from.) Basically, it stemmed from this New York Times Well entry comparing 5-time Olympian and 41-year-old Dana Torres (she of the amazing abs) to 80-year-old Estelle Parsons


Estelle Parsons (Sara Krulwich/The New York Times)

an actress who, while not in Olympic form, is in pretty amazing shape.

I took exception to the statement that "Ms. Torres and her 'phenomenally ripped' belly have become the 'physical ideal for mothers, women at or approaching middle age, and just women in general.'" Oh, bother. Like this is remotely realistic for most of us poor schlups who don't have at least $100,000 a year for coaches, masseuses, chiropractors, nannies, and the like. I much prefer Ms. Parsons' appproach, because first, that IS realistic. Anyone who claims she can't find at least 30 minutes a day for exercise either needs to reevaluate what she's doing or is flat-out lying. (Parents with newborns and/or multiples get a free pass on this one.) And second, an Olympian, I'm not. Most of us aren't. Most of us won't be. But when I'm 80, I sure would like to be healthy and fit -- and that is something I can strive for.

And then there's 62-year-old Helen Mirren...


This picture's all over the Internet, but I got this one at www.examiner.com

Um. Wow. I have no idea what she's doing to keep in shape, but clearly, it's working. Wow!

Dang it, the post-that-didn't-post was a lot better than this summary. Anyway, what do you think? Would you rather be a Dara or an Estelle? Or Helen? (Hubba, hubba.)


# # #



Pete and I biking happily along during last year's 3-Speed Tour

In other news, I just got the last available room at the Bridgewaters Bed & Breakfast for next year's 3-Speed Tour. Hate me. =D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, i don't think we should have to pick one. I'm about the same age as Dara & would love to look like her. And when I get to be 80, I'd love to look as good as Estelle. Ditto Helen at 62. Hubba hubba indeed!

i disagree with the article's assertion that Dara Torres has become the physical ideal for women in general. I think most women would be happy just to look fit and toned. Most of us aren't shooting for the physique of an Olympic swimmer with 6% body fat.

Cooking and Screaming said...

It's from The Princess Bride! Score points for me.

I saw Dara Torres on the cover of Time the other day and was blown away. Honestly, if I looked as good as Helen at her age (or my age!), I'd be delighted with myself, and when I'm 80 I'll take looking like Estelle.

Yon Saucy Wench said...

@ Kammy - good point that we shouldn't have to pick just one!

@ Wendy - You got it!