Wednesday, August 13, 2008

So, China's Thumbelinas win gymnastics gold...

...but questions remain about the gymnasts' ages.

I haven't seen the team competition yet (we've DVRing the Olympics, watching the bits we're especially interested in and fast forwarding through the rest, and we're behind by about a day [and yes, I know that "DVR" isn't a verb]), but I will say this: when I was 12, I was 4'11" and weighed 78 pounds. When I was 16, I'd reached my full height of 5'4" and weighed about 115 pounds*. That's purely anecdotal and means nothing, of course. But reading about these girls' (they are not women, no no no) heights and weights, and comparing them to their American counterparts...Huh.

I really wish the IOC had done its job and investigated this.


*and thought I was fat. Good grief.

No comments: