Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This is going to be a repeat post for those of you who read my super-secret writing blog. Sorry about that. But I am resolved that I am not going to let myself play with pictures from the 3-speed tour until I hit a certain point on the novel's edits, and, well, I didn't hit that point yesterday. So no new pictures for you. I realize that's not exactly fair but I've yet to come up with a better way to do this, so that's what it's going to be.

For the people who do not know the super-secret handshake and password to read the super-secret writing blog, however, these are new pictures. And probably new information, as I bet most of you didn't even know I was going to go do a 3-speed tour. Well, I did! And despite only having done a few rides this spring and still being on the tail end of being sick, it was grand fun.



If you click the 3-speed tour link, it will basically tell you that a bunch of nutters dress up like people from the 30s, get on a bunch of old 3-speeds and take two days to ride around Lake Pepin, with lots of stops for pastries, cheese, and tea. And that's exactly what we did.



Last night Pete asked if doing this made us the biking equivalent of Civil War reenactors. Yes dear, I believe it does.



I even wore a skirt the first day. I've never worn a skirt biking before and was a little apprehensive about it, but it was actually rather fun. I should also say that I cheated and wore biking shorts beneath. I don't think those were an option in the 30s, but fortunately, I live in 2008.



I received a lot of comments about my hat. All compliments, I'm sure, for it's a beauty, isn't it!



I met lots of very nice people. I saw eagles. I ate pie. I biked slowly with my sweetie through scenic beauty and historical landmarks. We made people stare. It was a grand time, indeed. I'm already looking forward to next year's tour.

I've got a lot more pictures I'd like to process and post, and a slightly more detailed entry to write up, but unfortunately that is going to have to wait as I've hit crunch time with the novel. Between that and my training schedule for the marathon, updates to this blog may be sporadic at best for a bit.

Now I must run away to work and sell books, and then after I will work on my book until the girls get home from school and we work our way through homework, and dinner, and swimming lessons. And I need to go for a run today, too. Busy, busy. Sort of makes me wish I were still leisurely biking around Lake Pepin.

Edit: I wrote this in a hurry before leaving for work this morning, and realized after the fact that I'd inadvertently left out the most important part of the 3-speed tour. So here it is, along with my apologies for not including it in the original post: a big, huge THANK YOU! to Bill at a midway bikelog for the loan of the Dunelt. It's a beautiful bike in fabulous condition, and it got a lot of attention and compliments all through the tour (as well it should have!). What a sweet, sweet ride. Thanks, Bill!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Looks like it was an awesome time! & I always thought Civil War reenactors were kool.

Luv the hat, too :)

Yon Saucy Wench said...

That hat is awesome. It stayed on my head without ties, pins, or anything but its own incredible staying power, even during Sunday's nasty headwind. The hat rules!

heidimo said...

bikes! pie! fabulous outfits and good company! what fun. i would so do this ride. you & pete look charming. i look forward to the rest of the photos.

Bill Connell said...

Glad the bike worked well, and that you had a good time. You both look smashing in the pictures, spot on style. Good luck in your own 3-speed quest, hope you find a good one!