Friday, October 17, 2008

No pictures later

We had a minor crisis last night (Jim might appreciate this)...A day or two ago, Morgan was told asked to bring up something from the basement freezer, and didn't quite close the freezer door all the way on her way back upstairs. Ack. 

Fortunately, it truly was a minor crisis, as 1) because it'd only been a day or two, and the door was only open a crack, only the first layer of things were impacted, 2) I'd been meaning to defrost and clean out that freezer for the last, oh, two years or so (this does not say much about my housekeeping skills, does it) and this got that task off the "I'll get to it one of these days" list and into the "I'm going to do do that right now!" category, and  3) while some things were a loss (mystery doughs, pie crusts, bananas, realllllllllly old bags of veggies, popsicles, a few pre-packaged lean cuisine type meals I'd bought back when I was still working full-time for That Place [which means they've been in there for at least 18 months and probably longer; and now I'm using parentheses within parentheses, uh oh]), most of the meats and my soups, stews, and other leftovers meals were so buried that they were still frozen solid, and so nothing important had to be thrown out.  Wow, did I really get all that into one sentence?

I did have to whip up a quick batch of strawberry jam last night -- which wasn't a big deal; I'd go to far greater lengths than that to save strawberries. We had to have a thawed small cheese pizza last night as an appetizer, which no one seemed to mind too much. The girls will be having chicken nuggets this morning as part of their breakfast (when and why did I buy chicken nuggets???). And there will be a few other odd meals over the next few days. But really, it could have been worse. And hey, now that freezer's defrosted and cleaned out, Morgan has learned the importance of making sure the freezer door's closed all the way, and I'm eating fresh strawberry jam with my toast. Life is good. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how tasks will move themselves into the "I'm going to do that right now!" category if you leave them long enough.