Friday, October 10, 2008

In which my kitchen is a disaster

So we're having Thanksgiving tonight (long story; I'll tell you about it later). I volunteered to make a pie, dinner rolls, and cranberry sauce. Well, the pie turned into two pies. I wanted to make something new -- the apple cranberry pie featured on the cover of the current issue of Cook's Illustrated -- but then got worried that people might not like it. So I made a plain ol' apple pie too. Just in case. And then I decided to make two cranberry sauces for basically the same reason: I wanted to try a cranberry pear ginger sauce -- but what if people don't like cranberry pear ginger sauce? What if they want just plain cranberry? Best have some on hand. Just in case.  

It's been grand fun. Messy, but fun. I tried a new pie crust recipe that I think is now my absolute favorite pie crust recipe: the secret ingredient is vodka. Yes, vodka. Crazy!

Everything's looking good and smelling even better. Nom

In descending order: dinner rolls, apple-cranberry pie, cranberry pear ginger sauce, cranberry sauce, and the apple pie (still in the oven baking).

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude all those vittles look awesome. The pic of your kitchen looks like it oughta be in a cooking magazine. Yum!