Tuesday, April 22, 2008

After I posted about registering for the marathon, of course I went out for a run (because, panic OMG I just registered for a marathon OMG OMG OMG panic!). Keeping in mind that I haven't actually gone for a run in about two weeks (first, I got kind of lazy; second, last week I hurt my back; and third, last Friday I went to see my doctor about something unrelated to the back problem and ended up having a minor surgical procedure done on the spot [the stitches come out this Friday])...well, the good news is that things can only get better.

The bad news: holy slow running, batman. Of course, I was taking it pretty easy (see: back and stitches), but still. At this pace, it'd take me approximately 62 hours to run 26.2 miles. OK, I am exaggerating a bit. But truly, things really can only get better. However, I'm not going to talk about times and distance until they do. Because sheesh, talk about humiliation!

I also read through 4 Months to a 4-Hour Marathon. (I wasn't kidding when I said before that I've been wanting to do this for years: I've had this book since 2000 or maybe 2001.) Now, I actually have no desire to do this in 4 hours. I just want to finish in a respectable time, say, under 6 hours or just before they close the course (which is, uh, 6 hours after the start, yikes; so, 5:59). The main thing is that now I've got a training plan. I'm nuts, but I have a plan. All is good.

No comments: