Sunday, May 21, 2006

Backyard fun, or, Last call for hostas

We worked hard yesterday, putting in the beginnings of a raised bed and demolishing the second-to-last bit of the Hosta Ghetto (I'll blog more about that year-long nightmare in a later post, but essentially, last spring I began de-hosta-nating a 27 x 3 foot area of wildly overgrown and densely packed hostas-gone-wild; it's been QUITE the project). So we rewarded ourselves last night by having Joel and Alana over for some backyard grilling and drinks and a fire. It was cold, though! Even with the fire--and a thick sweatshirt and lined pants and socks--I was freezing.

I was also really worried that the new plants I just got yesterday might freeze (according to Pete, we were supposed to get down to 35°F last night), but everything's fine this morning.

Fire
Fire

And just for fun...

The spirits of the night liked Pete a lot.

Ghost!
Ghost!
May 2006, 50mm, Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

This morning I'm staring at garden plans (can I combine a Butterfly garden with a Fragrant garden? More to the point, should I combine the two???), writing for an hour, and then heading outside to do some more de-hosta-nating before heading down to Belle Plain with Alana to 1) pick up my children, who are at Nana and Papa Tom's for the weekend, and 2) check out Brewery Creek, a garden center in Belle Plain that my mom highly recommends. Does anyone want some hostas? I don't have many left, but there is still a big fat chunk remaining, about five feet long by 3 feet wide, which I'll be starting to ripe out shortly...

No comments: