Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring sunset

The sun is again setting in the west.

I know, that sounds weird. "Well, Nancy, the sun usually does set in the west," you say, and you are right. But in the winter the sun seems to set more in the southwest. Rationally, I know it's not actually setting anywhere in the south, that it just seems that way because we're tilted so far from the sun. But it's a strange moment when I look out the window in late fall and the sun isn't setting where it usually does, but instead has wandered off several degrees to the left of the river. And of course rationally I know this hasn't happened overnight, that it's happened bit by slow bit and I'm only just noticing at that moment, but it's still strange, and rather unsettling, and it remains strange to me all winter.

(I never used to be this aware of sunsets until we moved here. Now I'm hypersensitive to them.)

But now the sun is setting back where it's supposed to be--smack dab over the river.

It's spring!

Day is Done
Day is done
April 2006, Minnesota River, Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

No comments: