Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dinner: stir fry

I went grocery shopping in the morning yesterday, only to realize when I started the dinner prep that 1) I'd run us out of soy sauce the last time I did a stir fry and 2) I'd forgotten to put it on The List. I didn't feel like going back to the store just for soy sauce, so I poked around and found this substitute. I made a few changes, like adding 4 tbsp chicken broth and reducing the bouillon to 2 cubes (because do we really need that much sodium? I think not), and using a pinch of ground chipotle pepper in place of the white pepper (because somehow, we're out of white pepper too)...The result was quite good, so good that I may not buy soy sauce ever again.

I think next time I make it, I'll cut the bouillon down even further, to 1 cube. Oh ho ho, I am so daring!



Stir fries often get a bad rap. If you do them the right way, though -- i.e. cooked in a little bit of oil over high heat for a very short amount of time -- they're quite good for you.

I marinated some tofu in a mix of my soy sauce substitute, fresh squeezed lime juice, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and then grilled it:



The veggies went into 2 tbsps of sesame oil in the wok over high heat for 2 minutes. I didn't get a picture of them sizzling, but here's a shot of the veggies pre-wok.



Earlier, I'd made brown rice (in the pressure cooker, because IMO that's just the best way to make brown rice: quick and never soggy).



When the veggies hit the 2 minute mark, I tossed in the tofu along with 2 cloves of minced garlic and cooked it all for 1 more minute. The rice went into bowls, the stir fry went on top of the rice, and voila. Dinner was served.



The girls loved it.



Not! But they did eat it without too much complaining, so that's something.

No comments: